

Make a gift in honor of the good that comes from BDN journalism in your hands, and help raise $60,000 this spring to support our reporting. Make a donation now.
Gov. Janet Mills said on Wednesday that the Trump administration’s policy of charging higher entrance fees for non-U.S. residents visiting national parks — like Acadia — is “ridiculous” and “foolish.”
The statement comes after President Donald Trump implemented a $100 fee for all non-U.S. residents who visit 11 of the country’s most popular national parks, including Acadia National Park. A standard park pass for visitors with U.S. residency is between $20 and $35.
The new fee — required for all non-U.S. residents who are 16 and over — started on Jan. 1.
“It’s typical of this administration and Washington, where they’re spending billions of dollars everyday on a war that is unending,” Mills said. “Then to turn around and charge Canadians for enjoying our state — our country — it makes no sense. It’s corrupt.”
The governor said it was “wrong to penalize people for coming from a different country,” and questioned whether the policy would be effective.
“It doesn’t make any sense: It’s not going to raise any money because they just won’t come,” Mills said.
While speaking with reporters at a ribbon cutting ceremony for the new Acadia Gateway Center in Trenton on Wednesday, Mills said Canadians and Mainers are “from the same families,” and Canadians contribute a substantial amount to the state’s economy.
Mills said she travelled to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia last summer to encourage Canadians to visit Maine.
“It’s ridiculous, especially given the exchange range,” Mills said. “We are fighting to keep the tourist traffic from Canada — we want them here, we welcome them all over the state, and especially at our beautiful national park, Acadia.”
When asked how it may impact tourism in Acadia specifically, Mills said the fee would have some “negative impact,” and that the current exchange rate adds another barrier for Canadians to visit the park.
Acadia’s superintendent Kevin Schneider said only a small fraction of the park’s visitors are from international countries, and the park hasn’t yet seen an impact from the non-resident fee.
“I hesitate to speculate what may or may not happen, but at this point it’s too early to tell for Acadia,” Schneider said.
Park officials haven’t commented on how the new policy could affect Acadia’s visitation numbers — which exceeded 4 million last year — because the park’s busy tourism season hasn’t yet started.
The new, state-owned and -operated $27 million Acadia Gateway Center opened for the first time last September, after construction was completed, and re-opened Wednesday for the 2026 tourist season, which typically begins in earnest each year around Memorial Day weekend.





