Tuesday, February 17, 2026
DIGESTWIRE
Contribute
CONTACT US
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
DIGESTWIRE
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

Real Madrid game against Benfica halted over alleged racial slur

by DigestWire member
February 17, 2026
in Breaking News, World
0
Real Madrid game against Benfica halted over alleged racial slur
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Real Madrid’s Champions League game against Benfica was stopped for several minutes after a racist ‌slur was allegedly directed at Brazilian forward Vinicius Junior by an opposition player.

The match in Lisbon, Portugal, was halted five minutes into the second half, shortly after ​Vinicius gave the away side a 1-0 lead in the first leg of the knockout playoffs.

Cameras picked up the 25-year-old player telling French referee Francois Letexier that he had been targeted.

The match was stopped for 11 minutes and Vinicius, who is black, went to the sidelines at the Estadio da Luz.

Both coaches, Benfica’s Jose Mourinho and Madrid’s Alvaro Arbeloa, talked to him at one point.

It appears Benfica players were not happy with the forward because he celebrated his goal by dancing in front of the corner flag, and some went to confront him.

Vinicius had been shown a yellow card after the celebration.

Real Madrid manager Xabi Alonso leaves club by mutual consent

Arsenal reach Champions League semi-final with dramatic win over Real Madrid

Real Madrid become first club to earn one billion euros in one year

After the complaint, Letexier responded by crossing ​his arms in front of his ⁠face, activating FIFA’s anti-racism protocol and stopping the match.

Real’s players threatened ⁠to leave the pitch ​as tensions rose, but the referee ​eventually allowed the match to resume.

Vinicius has repeatedly suffered ​racism in Spain during games.

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

The match was eventually resumed with the first leg ending 1-nil. The teams are due to go to Madrid to play the second leg, but Sky News’ sports correspondent, Rob Harris, said there could be sanctions.

“There can be a ban for the player, if he’s found guilty of the racial abuse of Vinicius.

“Vinicius himself had warned about facing racism in the past, particularly in Spain… and had said that he would be prepared to walk off… if he faced abuse.

“Football often talks about sending out a message, and imposing those bans, to hopefully try to stamp out the scourge of racism. But how often are we still talking about this in football?”

Be the first to get Breaking News

Install the Sky News app for free

After the game, Vinicius Junior’s team-mate Trent Alexander-Arnold, a former Liverpool and England player, told Amazon Prime: “What’s happened tonight is a disgrace to football. It’s overshadowed the performance, especially after such an amazing goal.

“Vini has been subjected to this a few times throughout his career, there’s no place for it in football or society. It’s disgusting.”

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Read Entire Article
Tags: Breaking NewsSkynewsWorld
Share30Tweet19
Next Post
Nearly 40 years ago, Jesse Jackson rallied striking mill workers in rural Maine

Nearly 40 years ago, Jesse Jackson rallied striking mill workers in rural Maine

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

No Result
View All Result
Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates
ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

Former “ANTM” Contestant Tiffany Richardson SLAMMED Tyra Banks In The Wake Of The New Netflix Docuseries

Jesse Jackson, Civil Rights Leader Who Helped Launch Progressive Movement, Dead At 84

Nakamoto Inc. to Acquire BTC Inc. and UTXO in $107M All-Stock Deal

WATCH: Four goals and missed penalty in first half of Monaco vs PSG before red card early in second half in crazy game

Monaco 2-3 PSG: Doue inspires holders to comeback win against 10-man hosts in Champions League thriller

Benfica 0-1 Real Madrid: Vinicius scores and leaves the pitch after alleged racist language

Trending

Nearly 40 years ago, Jesse Jackson rallied striking mill workers in rural Maine
Breaking News

Nearly 40 years ago, Jesse Jackson rallied striking mill workers in rural Maine

by DigestWire member
February 17, 2026
0

His robust critique of the Reagan administration and corporate power drew support from the strikers, who helped...

Real Madrid game against Benfica halted over alleged racial slur

Real Madrid game against Benfica halted over alleged racial slur

February 17, 2026
Victims in ice rink shooting are attacker’s ex-wife and son

Victims in ice rink shooting are attacker’s ex-wife and son

February 17, 2026
Former “ANTM” Contestant Tiffany Richardson SLAMMED Tyra Banks In The Wake Of The New Netflix Docuseries

Former “ANTM” Contestant Tiffany Richardson SLAMMED Tyra Banks In The Wake Of The New Netflix Docuseries

February 17, 2026
Jesse Jackson, Civil Rights Leader Who Helped Launch Progressive Movement, Dead At 84

Jesse Jackson, Civil Rights Leader Who Helped Launch Progressive Movement, Dead At 84

February 17, 2026
DIGEST WIRE

DigestWire is an automated news feed that utilizes AI technology to gather information from sources with varying perspectives. This allows users to gain a comprehensive understanding of different arguments and make informed decisions. DigestWire is dedicated to serving the public interest and upholding democratic values.

Privacy Policy     Terms and Conditions

Recent News

  • Nearly 40 years ago, Jesse Jackson rallied striking mill workers in rural Maine February 17, 2026
  • Real Madrid game against Benfica halted over alleged racial slur February 17, 2026
  • Victims in ice rink shooting are attacker’s ex-wife and son February 17, 2026

Categories

  • Blockchain
  • Blog
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Cricket
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Defense
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • Founders
  • Health Care
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Strange
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • Uncategorized
  • US News
  • World

© 2020-23 Digest Wire. All rights belong to their respective owners.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Blockchain
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Strange
  • Blog
  • Founders
  • Contribute!

© 2024 Digest Wire - All right reserved.

Privacy Policy   Terms and Conditions

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.