Sunday, February 15, 2026
DIGESTWIRE
Contribute
CONTACT US
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
DIGESTWIRE
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

Government announces sweeping ‘crackdown’ on social media firms

by DigestWire member
February 15, 2026
in Breaking News, UK News, World
0
Government announces sweeping ‘crackdown’ on social media firms
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The government has announced a sweeping “crackdown” on tech firms to protect children from illegal content.

It will include measures to eliminate “vile illegal content created by AI,” and could even open the door to an Australia-style age limit on social media, a Number 10 spokesperson said.

It also promises to shut down the loophole that has allowed chatbots to produce illegal content.

On Sunday Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said “no platform gets a free pass” from the new restrictions.

Under the plans, ministers will “shut a legal loophole and force all AI chatbot providers to abide by illegal content duties in the Online Safety Act”, according to a government announcement.

Introduced in 2023, the Online Safety Act imposes strict duties on social media platforms – particularly in protecting children from harmful content.

Be the first to get Breaking News

Install the Sky News app for free

The government has also promised a consultation with tech firms to discuss how to best safeguard children.

How Trump’s White House is helping Big Tech fight back against child safety campaigners

Instagram use can be ‘problematic’ but not addictive, says app’s chief

Beth Rigby: The constant challenges I face keeping my kids safe in the new Wild West

A spokesperson said that means “being able to act quickly on measures like setting a minimum age limit for social media and restricting features like infinite scrolling that are harmful”.

In December last year Australia became the first country in the world to introduce a mandatory minimum age of 16 for accessing social media platforms.

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said: “As a dad of two teenagers, I know the challenges and the worries that parents face making sure their kids are safe online.

“Technology is moving really fast, and the law has got to keep up. With my government, Britain will be a leader, not a follower, when it comes to online safety.

“Today we are closing loopholes that put children at risk, and laying the groundwork for further action.

“We are acting to protect children’s wellbeing and help parents to navigate the minefield of social media.”

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Technology Secretary Liz Kendall said: “I know that parents across the country want us to act urgently to keep their children safe online.

“That’s why I stood up to Grok and Elon Musk when they flouted British laws and British values.

“We will not wait to take the action families need, so we will tighten the rules on AI chatbots and we are laying the ground so we can act at pace on the results of the consultation on young people and social media.

“We are determined to give children the childhood they deserve and to prepare them for the future at a time of rapid technological change.”

Read more from Sky News:
Foreign secretary denies PM is ‘rattled’
Inside the UK’s van dwelling hotspots

Shadow Education Secretary Laura Trott dismissed the proposals as “more smoke and mirrors from a government that has chosen inaction when it comes to stopping under-16s accessing social media”.

Be the first to get Breaking News

Install the Sky News app for free

Ms Trott said the evidence that social media content harms under-16s is “clear” and said they “should be prevented from accessing” it.

Britain, she said, “is lagging behind while other countries have recognised the risks and begun to act”.

Her view was echoed by Dr Becky Foljambe, founder of Health Professionals for Safer Screens, who said ministers should “stop talking and act, as every day they dither, more children are harmed”.

Read Entire Article
Tags: Breaking NewsSkynewsUK
Share30Tweet19

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

No Result
View All Result
Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates
ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

Travis Kelce Accidentally Hits Fan With Golf Ball, Quickly Apologizes

4 Best Free Movies to Watch on YouTube, Pluto TV, Tubi and More (February 2026)

Cruz Beckham’s GF Jackie Makes Rare Comment About Their Age-Gap Romance

Amazon Is Secretly Packed With Formal Winter Dresses (Under $70)

Clare Crawley Addresses Pregnancy Rumors After PDA Pic With Husband Ryan

Spirit Awards Winners List (Updating Live)

Trending

Government announces sweeping ‘crackdown’ on social media firms
Breaking News

Government announces sweeping ‘crackdown’ on social media firms

by DigestWire member
February 15, 2026
0

The government has announced a sweeping "crackdown" on tech firms to protect children from illegal content.

Team GB enjoy record-breaking day at Winter Olympics, with two gold medals

Team GB enjoy record-breaking day at Winter Olympics, with two gold medals

February 15, 2026
‘Not Your Keys, Not Your Bots’: Balaji Srinivasan Maps a Leashed AI Future

‘Not Your Keys, Not Your Bots’: Balaji Srinivasan Maps a Leashed AI Future

February 15, 2026
Travis Kelce Accidentally Hits Fan With Golf Ball, Quickly Apologizes

Travis Kelce Accidentally Hits Fan With Golf Ball, Quickly Apologizes

February 15, 2026
4 Best Free Movies to Watch on YouTube, Pluto TV, Tubi and More (February 2026)

4 Best Free Movies to Watch on YouTube, Pluto TV, Tubi and More (February 2026)

February 15, 2026
DIGEST WIRE

DigestWire is an automated news feed that utilizes AI technology to gather information from sources with varying perspectives. This allows users to gain a comprehensive understanding of different arguments and make informed decisions. DigestWire is dedicated to serving the public interest and upholding democratic values.

Privacy Policy     Terms and Conditions

Recent News

  • Government announces sweeping ‘crackdown’ on social media firms February 15, 2026
  • Team GB enjoy record-breaking day at Winter Olympics, with two gold medals February 15, 2026
  • ‘Not Your Keys, Not Your Bots’: Balaji Srinivasan Maps a Leashed AI Future February 15, 2026

Categories

  • Blockchain
  • Blog
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Cricket
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Defense
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • Founders
  • Health Care
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Strange
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • Uncategorized
  • US News
  • World

© 2020-23 Digest Wire. All rights belong to their respective owners.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Blockchain
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Strange
  • Blog
  • Founders
  • Contribute!

© 2024 Digest Wire - All right reserved.

Privacy Policy   Terms and Conditions

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.