Saturday, February 21, 2026
DIGESTWIRE
Contribute
CONTACT US
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
DIGESTWIRE
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

Trial into puberty blockers for children paused over ‘wellbeing concerns’

by DigestWire member
February 21, 2026
in Breaking News, UK News, World
0
Trial into puberty blockers for children paused over ‘wellbeing concerns’
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A clinical trial into puberty blockers has been paused after the medicines regulator raised “new concerns directly related to the wellbeing of children”, the government said.

It comes after campaigners, including Harry Potter author JK Rowling, launched legal action against the government over the trial, which Ms Rowling described as “an unethical experiment on children who can’t give meaningful consent”.

Announcing the pause, a spokesperson for the Department of Health and Social Care said the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has raised “new concerns – directly related to the wellbeing of children and young people – and scientific dialogue will now follow with the trial sponsor”.

“As the evidence is now being interrogated by clinicians, preparations for the trial have been paused while the MHRA and clinical leaders work through these concerns,” the spokesperson said.

Researchers at King’s College London, who were set to lead the Pathways trial, previously said they were aiming to recruit around 226 young people aged between 10 and almost 16.

Be the first to get Breaking News

Install the Sky News app for free

Recruitment to the study will be postponed until the issues have been resolved with the sponsor, King’s College, and it is concluded that it is “both safe and necessary”, the department spokesperson said.

A spokesperson for King’s College said: “The wellbeing and health of young people with gender incongruence and their families has been, and will remain, our priority, and we will continue to work with the MHRA to support their further review of the trial, which has been designed by world-leading academics with scientific rigour at its core.

“That rigour and ongoing scientific discussion is important for any clinical trial, particularly one as complex as Pathways, which aims to build an evidence base that can help young people and clinicians to make better-informed decisions in the future.”

‘Poor’ existing research on puberty blockers ‘benefits’

The trial was launched based on a recommendation by the Cass Review into children’s gender care, which concluded that the quality of research claiming to show the benefits of puberty blockers for children with gender dysphoria was “poor”.

Baroness Hilary Cass, a senior paediatrician, said even though her report “uncovered a very weak evidence base” for these benefits, a trial “was the only way forward” given that there are “clinicians, children and families who believe passionately in the beneficial effects”.

Read more from Sky News:
Man jailed after starving dogs to death
Andrew faces removal from line of succession

Follow our channel and never miss an update.

She said a supervised puberty blocker trial is “better” than children buying puberty-suppressing drugs on the dark web.

Conservative leader Kemi Badenoch previously wrote to Health Secretary Wes Streeting that the clinical trial must be stopped “before more damage is done to children”.

While Mr Streeting admitted he was “uncomfortable” with puberty blockers being given to children, he said he had a responsibility to follow expert advice and that going ahead with the trial was “the right thing to do”.

Read Entire Article
Tags: Breaking NewsSkynewsUK
Share30Tweet19

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

No Result
View All Result
Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates
ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

Over 1,000 councillors sign Palestine solidarity pledge amid claims of ‘political opportunism’

Abbey Road is opening its doors for a rave

The Ballad Of Wallis Island stars on becoming a word-of-mouth hit – and asking A-listers for selfies

SEC Now Allows Broker-Dealers to Count Stablecoins Toward Regulatory Capital

Bitcoin Extreme Fear Streak Extends To 22 Days As Price Struggles

Toncoin Price Prediction 2026, 2027 – 2030: Will TON Price Reach $10?

Trending

Trial into puberty blockers for children paused over ‘wellbeing concerns’
Breaking News

Trial into puberty blockers for children paused over ‘wellbeing concerns’

by DigestWire member
February 21, 2026
0

A clinical trial into puberty blockers has been paused after the medicines regulator raised "new concerns directly...

Bithumb $43 Billion Bitcoin Blunder Triggers Political Backlash In South Korea

Bithumb $43 Billion Bitcoin Blunder Triggers Political Backlash In South Korea

February 21, 2026
XRP Supply on Binance Drops as 200M Tokens Exit After 40% Correction

XRP Supply on Binance Drops as 200M Tokens Exit After 40% Correction

February 21, 2026
Over 1,000 councillors sign Palestine solidarity pledge amid claims of ‘political opportunism’

Over 1,000 councillors sign Palestine solidarity pledge amid claims of ‘political opportunism’

February 21, 2026
Abbey Road is opening its doors for a rave

Abbey Road is opening its doors for a rave

February 21, 2026
DIGEST WIRE

DigestWire is an automated news feed that utilizes AI technology to gather information from sources with varying perspectives. This allows users to gain a comprehensive understanding of different arguments and make informed decisions. DigestWire is dedicated to serving the public interest and upholding democratic values.

Privacy Policy     Terms and Conditions

Recent News

  • Trial into puberty blockers for children paused over ‘wellbeing concerns’ February 21, 2026
  • Bithumb $43 Billion Bitcoin Blunder Triggers Political Backlash In South Korea February 21, 2026
  • XRP Supply on Binance Drops as 200M Tokens Exit After 40% Correction February 21, 2026

Categories

  • Blockchain
  • Blog
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Cricket
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Defense
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • Founders
  • Health Care
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Strange
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • Uncategorized
  • US News
  • World

© 2020-23 Digest Wire. All rights belong to their respective owners.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Blockchain
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Strange
  • Blog
  • Founders
  • Contribute!

© 2024 Digest Wire - All right reserved.

Privacy Policy   Terms and Conditions

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.