Timothy Busfield has entered a plea after he was indicted by a grand jury for child sexual abuse.
Busfield, 68, pleaded not guilty to four counts of criminal sexual contact of a minor, according to New Mexico court records viewed by People. The outlet also reported that the director waived his arraignment and pre-trial appearances in court, which was granted by a judge Wednesday, February 18. Us Weekly has reached out for comment.
Us confirmed in January that Busfield was named in a New Mexico arrest warrant over accusations of child sexual abuse on the set of Fox’s The Cleaning Lady. He surrendered himself to local law enforcement that same month and vehemently denied the accusations.
“I’m going to confront these lies. They’re horrible. They’re all lies, and I did not do anything to those little boys,” Busfield alleged in a video obtained by TMZ. “I’m going to fight it. I’m going to fight it with a great team, and I’m going to be exonerated. I know I am because this is all so wrong and all lies.”
Timothy Busfield Claims Child Sex Abuse Charges Have ‘No Reliable Proof’
Busfield was released from police custody on January 21, shortly before he was indicted by a grand jury.
“As with all criminal proceedings, Mr. Busfield is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in a court of law,” Bernalillo County District Attorney Sam Bregman said in a statement via Facebook earlier this month. “This case will proceed through the judicial process and is expected to move forward to trial. The Bernalillo County District Attorney’s Office remains committed to doing everything possible to protect children and ensure justice for victims.”
Busfield has continued to maintain his innocence.
“The indictment was not unexpected. As the saying goes, a grand jury will indict a ham sandwich,” his lawyer Larry Stein said in a statement. “What is deeply concerning is that the District Attorney is choosing to proceed on a case that is fundamentally unsound and cannot be proven at trial. The detention hearing exposed fatal weaknesses in the State’s evidence — gaps that no amount of charging decisions can cure.”
Timothy Busfield’s Attorney Says He’s ‘Innocent,’ Claims ‘Revenge’ at Play
Stein continued, “This prosecution appears driven by something other than the facts or the law. Mr. Busfield will fight these charges at every stage and looks forward to testing the State’s case in open court — where evidence matters — not behind closed doors.”
Busfield has been married to Little House on the Prairie alum Melissa Gilbert since 2013. She has stood by his side throughout the legal battle.
“During this period, her focus is on supporting and caring for their very large family, as they navigate this moment,” a rep for Gilbert, 61, told Us in a statement last month. “Melissa stands with and supports her husband and will address the public at an appropriate time. We ask that their privacy be respected.”
Gilbert shared an update several weeks later.
“I’m sending you all my love and gratitude during this extraordinarily difficult time,” she said in a video shared via her Modern Prairie website. “Not only for Tim, me and our family, but in the collective heaviness so many of us seem to be carrying right now. Add an unexpected storm to the mix, and it can all feel like a bit too much. This season has reminded me, very clearly, how important it is to slow down, prioritize what truly matters, and allow ourselves moments of rest. Stepping back from the noise, the news, and even our daily responsibilities from time to time gives us space to recharge, reflect, and find our center again.”
If you or someone you know is experiencing child abuse, call or text Child Help Hotline at 1-800-422-4453.



