King Charles III has broken his silence on brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor‘s arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and cooperation,” Charles, 77, said in a statement issued by Buckingham Palace on Thursday, February 19.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” Charles continued.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all,” the statement concluded.
Biggest Royal Family Scandals Through the Years
Andrew, 66, was arrested early Thursday morning at his home at the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, England. Thursday marks the former Prince Andrew’s 66th birthday.
“Thames Valley Police has opened an investigation into the offense of misconduct in public office,” the U.K.’s Thames Valley Police said in a press release.

The press statement continued, “As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time.”
The police force said it would not be naming the man per national guidance, but multiple media outlets identified the man arrested as Andrew.
Prince William and More Royals React to Prince Andrew’s Epstein Ties
Thames Valley Police Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said in a statement, “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.”
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offense,” Wright continued. “We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Us Weekly has reached out to Andrew’s lawyer for comment.
Earlier this month, the Thames Valley Police confirmed to the BBC it was assessing allegations that Andrew shared confidential information with late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein while serving as a U.K. trade envoy between 2001 and 2011.
Prince Andrew’s Ups and Downs Ahead of His Shocking Arrest
Anti-monarchy group Republic filed a complaint with the police department after the BBC reported on February 8 that Andrew appeared to share confidential reports of visits to Singapore, Hong Kong and Vietnam with Epstein in late 2010. Apparent emails between Epstein and Andrew were discovered in the latest tranche of federal documents — dubbed the Epstein files — released in January by the U.S. government following investigations into the disgraced financier. Epstein died by suicide in August 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges. He was 66.
According to the BBC report, Andrew sent Epstein an email on October 7, 2010, detailing upcoming trips as a U.K. trade envoy to Singapore, Vietnam, Shenzhen in China and Hong Kong. Upon his return, on November 30, 2010, Andrew appeared to forward official reports of the visits sent by his then-special assistant, Amit Patel, to Epstein within five minutes of receiving the documents, per the BBC.
According to official U.K. government guidance, official trade envoys carry “a duty of confidentiality in relation to information received. This may include sensitive, commercial or political information shared about relevant markets/visits.” The duty of confidentiality continues to apply “after the expiry of their term in office.”
“In addition, the Official Secrets Acts 1911 and 1989 will apply. Trade envoys are responsible for the protection of any documents they have been provided which might contain sensitive data and ensuring that they are carried, stored and disposed of in an appropriate manner,” the government guidance states.

