Thursday, February 19, 2026
DIGESTWIRE
Contribute
CONTACT US
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
DIGESTWIRE
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

FCC chairman says the agency is investigating ABC’s ‘The View’ over equal time rule

by DigestWire member
February 19, 2026
in Breaking News, World
0
FCC chairman says the agency is investigating ABC’s ‘The View’ over equal time rule
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Federal Communications Commission is investigating ABC’s “The View” over possible violations of the requirement that broadcast stations give equal time to political candidates when they appear on-air, according to the head of the agency that oversees U.S. broadcast airwaves.

“The FCC has an enforcement action underway on that,” Chairman Brendan Carr told reporters after an agency meeting Wednesday, in response to a question about whether there were an investigation into the daytime series over potential violations of the “equal time” rule. “And we’re taking a look at it.”

James Talarico, a Democratic candidate for the Senate in Texas, appeared on “The View” on Feb. 2. U.S. Rep. Jasmine Crockett, who is running against Talarico for the nomination, has also been on the show.

The Trump administration has taken steps to clamp down on talk shows, which the FCC has suggested may be “motivated by partisan purposes.” Earlier in the week, late-night host Stephen Colbert said CBS executives had pulled an appearance by Talarico on his program over fears it ran afoul of equal time provisions.

The FCC issued new guidance in January to late-night and daytime hosts that they needed to give political candidates equal time. There are exceptions to the rule, including for newscasts, “bona fide” interview programs, and coverage of live events or documentaries. Carr has raised questions about the talk show exemption and whether it should stand.

“The FCC has not been presented with any evidence that the interview portion of any late night or daytime television talk show program on air presently would qualify for the bona fide news exemption,” according to the agency’s public notice last month.

Carr, a Trump appointee, suggested last year that investigating “The View,” whose hosts have frequently been critical of the Republican president, might be “worthwhile.”

The FCC has not responded to a message seeking comment on “The View” or Colbert’s show.

On Wednesday, Carr said watching the fallout from Colbert’s characterization of what happened with Talarico “was probably one of the most fun days I’ve had in the job,” adding that the candidate “took advantage” of media attention ”apparently for the purpose of raising money and getting clicks.”

The equal time provision applies only to broadcast, not streaming or internet programs. Colbert later posted the Talarico interview to YouTube, where it’s been viewed more than 7.5 million times — several times what the comic’s CBS program draws each night.

Talarico reported that he had raised $2.5 million in campaign donations in the 24 hours after the Colbert interview.

A spokesperson for “The View,” did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment Thursday.

CBS says Colbert was provided “legal guidance” that broadcasting the interview with Talarico could trigger the equal time rule. Colbert said on his show Tuesday night that while Carr said in January he was thinking about getting rid of the exemption for late-night talk shows, “CBS generously did it for him.”

___

Meg Kinnard can be reached at http://x.com/MegKinnardAP

Read Entire Article
Tags: BangordailynewsBreaking NewsWorld
Share30Tweet19
Next Post
Slavery exhibit removed by Trump administration is returning to Independence Mall in Philadelphia

Slavery exhibit removed by Trump administration is returning to Independence Mall in Philadelphia

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

No Result
View All Result
Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates
ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

GOP senator backs Democratic wife’s bid for office

Measles cases continue to rise in England – and this is where outbreak could spread next

Bitcoin ETFs still sit on $53B in net inflows despite recent outflows: Bloomberg

Ripple CEO Breaks Silence on XRP Price Crash, Says Utility Will Prove It’s the Best Performer

Polymarket Brings Live Probability Tables to Substack Authors

SUI Drops Below $1 Despite Launch of First U.S. Staking ETFs by Grayscale and Canary

Trending

Slavery exhibit removed by Trump administration is returning to Independence Mall in Philadelphia
Breaking News

Slavery exhibit removed by Trump administration is returning to Independence Mall in Philadelphia

by DigestWire member
February 19, 2026
0

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Workers on Thursday began restoring an exhibit on the lives of the nine people...

FCC chairman says the agency is investigating ABC’s ‘The View’ over equal time rule

FCC chairman says the agency is investigating ABC’s ‘The View’ over equal time rule

February 19, 2026
UMaine’s Adrianna Smith among semifinalists for prestigious basketball player of year award

UMaine’s Adrianna Smith among semifinalists for prestigious basketball player of year award

February 19, 2026
GOP senator backs Democratic wife’s bid for office

GOP senator backs Democratic wife’s bid for office

February 19, 2026
Measles cases continue to rise in England – and this is where outbreak could spread next

Measles cases continue to rise in England – and this is where outbreak could spread next

February 19, 2026
DIGEST WIRE

DigestWire is an automated news feed that utilizes AI technology to gather information from sources with varying perspectives. This allows users to gain a comprehensive understanding of different arguments and make informed decisions. DigestWire is dedicated to serving the public interest and upholding democratic values.

Privacy Policy     Terms and Conditions

Recent News

  • Slavery exhibit removed by Trump administration is returning to Independence Mall in Philadelphia February 19, 2026
  • FCC chairman says the agency is investigating ABC’s ‘The View’ over equal time rule February 19, 2026
  • UMaine’s Adrianna Smith among semifinalists for prestigious basketball player of year award February 19, 2026

Categories

  • Blockchain
  • Blog
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Cricket
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Defense
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • Founders
  • Health Care
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Strange
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • Uncategorized
  • US News
  • World

© 2020-23 Digest Wire. All rights belong to their respective owners.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Blockchain
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Strange
  • Blog
  • Founders
  • Contribute!

© 2024 Digest Wire - All right reserved.

Privacy Policy   Terms and Conditions

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.