Tuesday, February 17, 2026
DIGESTWIRE
Contribute
CONTACT US
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
DIGESTWIRE
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

Syria acknowledges widespread escapes from camp which housed thousands of ISIS-linked women

by DigestWire member
February 17, 2026
in Breaking News, World
0
Syria acknowledges widespread escapes from camp which housed thousands of ISIS-linked women
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A Syrian government official told Sky News al Hol camp in northeastern Syria is now largely emptied, acknowledging that escapes continued after the state took control of the site.

Al Hol has for years housed tens of thousands of women and children linked to suspected ISIS fighters, as well as Syrians and Iraqis displaced by the war.

The camp, previously run by Kurdish-led authorities, was taken over by the Syrian government last month as Damascus expanded its control in the area.

“Families escaped while we were present because the camp is large and the smuggling routes are very varied,” said Fadi al Qassem, the Syrian foreign ministry’s representative for al Hol camp administration.

He said the camp was already largely emptied of residents by the time Syrian forces arrived, with guards gone and gates open, and that authorities then struggled to prevent further departures.

Mr al Qassem said the government inherited unreliable population records and long-standing smuggling networks, making it difficult to establish who was present when the Syrian army took over the site.

He said officials found evidence of forged documentation, with families using multiple registration cards that belonged to people who had already left illegally.

US strikes dozens of Islamic State targets in Syria in retaliation for deadly ambush

US military completes transfer of thousands of Islamic State detainees from Syria to Iraq

US moves 150 Islamic State prisoners out of Syria with thousands more to follow

He added that authorities were trying to trace those who left outside official channels, using records from international partners, including the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR).

Syria says camp no longer viable

The agency said on Sunday it had observed a significant decrease in the number of residents at al Hol in recent weeks.

Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR representative based in Syria, said local authorities had informed the agency of plans to relocate remaining families and had asked for its support to assist people in the new camps, which the agency said it was ready to provide.

Read more:
Fighting near Syrian prisons holding ISIS exremists day after Kurdish ceasefire
Australia’s PM refuses to accept ISIS-linked families from Syria

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

The government plans to fully empty the camp and is transferring remaining families to sites in Akhtarin and Jarabulus in northern Aleppo province, near the Turkish border, where container units and concrete shelters are already in place, Mr al Qassem said.

He added that most of those being moved are women and children and that rehabilitation and social integration programmes are planned.

He said officials concluded al Hol was no longer viable and would not be restored, citing extensive damage and the high cost of rehabilitation.

The first convoy left earlier this week in coordination with Syria’s emergency ministry and the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, with 10 buses and 35 trucks deployed, and further transfers planned.

Be the first to get Breaking News

Install the Sky News app for free

‘It’s the language of extremists’

Former Kurdish staff members who worked at al Hol said the rapid emptying of the camp had raised serious security concerns.

Jihan Hanan, who ran al Hol camp for four years until its takeover by Damascus last month, said the lack of any clear tracking of those who have left the camp was particularly worrying.

“When I saw videos showing large parts of al Hol empty, I was alarmed,” she said. Her last official figures, from 19 January, put the camp’s population at around 23,000 people.

She added that a video circulating online showed a former resident threatening her by name from inside what appears to be her burned and vandalised former office, vowing to track her down and warning others who had worked at the camp.

“This has created real fear for me and my children,” Ms Hanan said. “This is the language they used against us all the time. It’s the language of extremists.”

Many former residents blamed camp staff for their detention, she added, and more than 1,000 civilian and humanitarian workers who had run al Hol over the years now feared reprisals.

Read Entire Article
Tags: Breaking NewsSkynewsWorld
Share30Tweet19
Next Post
Our engineers and designers are embarked on a mission that matters-

Our engineers and designers are embarked on a mission that matters-

A small bridge replacement became a national award winner

A small bridge replacement became a national award winner

Engineering the future at sea:

Engineering the future at sea:

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

No Result
View All Result
Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates
ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

Adrianne Curry Reacts to Netflix’s ‘Top Model’ Doc, Slams Tyra Banks

Audible’s Narrator Hall of Fame Names Ray Porter, Julia Whelan Among 15 Inductees to 2026 Class

Shia LaBeouf Arrested Following Alleged Mardi Gras Fight in New Orleans

‘Wolfram’ Review: Tough but Tender-Hearted Colonial-Era Australian Western Tracks a Family’s Efforts to Reunite

‘RHONY’ Alum Dorinda Medley Officially Joins E! Reboot ‘The Golden Life’ After Jill Zarin Firing

‘Tell Me Lies’ Creator Meaghan Oppenheimer and Star Grace Van Patten on Lucy’s Finale Choice, Unanswered Burning Questions and Saying Goodbye

Trending

Raza on Zimbabwe’s progress: Super Eight ‘is a tick but certainly not the whole box’
Cricket

Raza on Zimbabwe’s progress: Super Eight ‘is a tick but certainly not the whole box’

by DigestWire member
February 17, 2026
0

"One of the goals we set out to achieve was certainly that we're going to bring more...

Nervous Pakistan face Namibia with final Super Eight spot on the line

Nervous Pakistan face Namibia with final Super Eight spot on the line

February 17, 2026
Free People Just Dropped 700+ New Pieces — These 13 Will Sell Out Soon

Free People Just Dropped 700+ New Pieces — These 13 Will Sell Out Soon

February 17, 2026
Adrianne Curry Reacts to Netflix’s ‘Top Model’ Doc, Slams Tyra Banks

Adrianne Curry Reacts to Netflix’s ‘Top Model’ Doc, Slams Tyra Banks

February 17, 2026
Audible’s Narrator Hall of Fame Names Ray Porter, Julia Whelan Among 15 Inductees to 2026 Class

Audible’s Narrator Hall of Fame Names Ray Porter, Julia Whelan Among 15 Inductees to 2026 Class

February 17, 2026
DIGEST WIRE

DigestWire is an automated news feed that utilizes AI technology to gather information from sources with varying perspectives. This allows users to gain a comprehensive understanding of different arguments and make informed decisions. DigestWire is dedicated to serving the public interest and upholding democratic values.

Privacy Policy     Terms and Conditions

Recent News

  • Raza on Zimbabwe’s progress: Super Eight ‘is a tick but certainly not the whole box’ February 17, 2026
  • Nervous Pakistan face Namibia with final Super Eight spot on the line February 17, 2026
  • Free People Just Dropped 700+ New Pieces — These 13 Will Sell Out Soon February 17, 2026

Categories

  • Blockchain
  • Blog
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Cricket
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Defense
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • Founders
  • Health Care
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Strange
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • Uncategorized
  • US News
  • World

© 2020-23 Digest Wire. All rights belong to their respective owners.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Blockchain
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Strange
  • Blog
  • Founders
  • Contribute!

© 2024 Digest Wire - All right reserved.

Privacy Policy   Terms and Conditions

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.