Friday, February 6, 2026
DIGESTWIRE
Contribute
CONTACT US
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
DIGESTWIRE
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

Luigi Mangione speaks out in protest as judge sets state murder trial for June 8

by DigestWire member
February 6, 2026
in Breaking News, World
0
Luigi Mangione speaks out in protest as judge sets state murder trial for June 8
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

NEW YORK (AP) — Luigi Mangione spoke out in court Friday against the prospect of back-to-back trials over the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, telling a judge: “It’s the same trial twice. One plus one is two. Double jeopardy by any commonsense definition.”

Mangione, 27, made the remarks as court officers escorted him out of the courtroom after a judge scheduled his state murder trial to begin June 8, three months before jury selection in his federal case.

Judge Gregory Carro, matter-of-fact in his decision after a lengthy discussion with prosecutors and defense lawyers at the bench, said the state trial could be delayed until Sept 8 if an appeal delays the federal trial.

Mangione’s lawyers objected to the June trial date, telling Carro that at that time, they’ll be consumed with preparing for the federal trial, which involves allegations that Mangione stalked Thompson before killing him.

“Mr. Mangione is being put in an untenable situation,” defense lawyer Karen Friedman Agnifilo said. “This is a tug-of-war between two different prosecution offices.”

“The defense will not be ready on June 8,” she added.

“Be ready,” Carro replied.

Mangione has pleaded not guilty to state and federal charges, both of which carry the possibility of life in prison. Last week, the judge in the federal case ruled that prosecutors can’t seek the death penalty.

Wearing a tan jail suit, Mangione sat quietly at the defense table until his outburst at the end of the hearing.

Jury selection in the federal case is set for Sept. 8, followed by opening statements and testimony on Oct. 13.

As the trial calendar began to take shape, Assistant District Attorney Joel Seidemann sent a letter to Carro asking him to begin the New York trial on July 1. The prosecutor argued that the state’s interests “would be unfairly prejudiced by an unnecessary delay” until after the federal trial.

When Mangione was arrested, federal prosecutors said anticipated that the state trial would go first. Seidemann told Carro on Friday that Thompson’s family has also expressed a desire to see the state trial happen first.

“It appears the federal government has reneged on its agreement to let the state, which has done most of the work in this case, go first,” Carro said Friday.

Scheduling the state trial first could help Manhattan prosecutors avoid double jeopardy issues. Under New York law, the district attorney’s office could be barred from trying Mangione if his federal trial happens first.

The state’s double jeopardy protections kick in if a jury has been sworn in a prior prosecution, such as a federal case, or if that prosecution ends in a guilty plea. The cases involve different charges but the same alleged course of conduct.

Mangione isn’t due in court again in the state case until May, when Carro is expected to rule on a defense request to exclude certain evidence that prosecutors say connects Mangione to the killing.

Those items include a 9 mm handgun that prosecutors say matches the one used to kill Thompson and a notebook in which they say he described his intent to “wack” a health insurance executive.

Last week, Garnett ruled that prosecutors can use those items at that trial.

In September, Carro threw out state terrorism charges but kept the rest of the case, including an intentional murder charge.

Thompson, 50, was killed on Dec. 4, 2024, as he walked to a midtown Manhattan hotel for UnitedHealth Group’s annual investor conference.

Surveillance video showed a masked gunman shooting him from behind. Police say “delay,” “deny” and “depose” were written on the ammunition, mimicking a phrase used to describe how insurers avoid paying claims.

Mangione, a University of Pennsylvania graduate from a wealthy Maryland family, was arrested five days later at a McDonald’s in Altoona, Pennsylvania, about 230 miles (about 370 kilometers) west of Manhattan.

Read Entire Article
Tags: BangordailynewsBreaking NewsWorld
Share30Tweet19
Next Post
Senator, who has repeatedly warned about secret U.S. government surveillance, sounds new alarm over ‘CIA activities’

Senator, who has repeatedly warned about secret U.S. government surveillance, sounds new alarm over ‘CIA activities’

‘Variations on a Theme’ Wins at Rotterdam: ‘Thoughtful and Moving’

‘Variations on a Theme’ Wins at Rotterdam: ‘Thoughtful and Moving’

Before This Oscar Season Ends, One Film Already Deserves Consideration for the Next: Meet ‘Josephine’

Before This Oscar Season Ends, One Film Already Deserves Consideration for the Next: Meet ‘Josephine’

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

No Result
View All Result
Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates
ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

Newcastle: Sandro Tonali’s agent says midfielder’s future will be decided in the summer

Liam Livingstone signs T20-only contract with Lancashire

Sammy: ‘Feels like 2016 when no one gave us a chance’

I’m a Fashion Editor — These 15 Blouses Look Expensive (but Aren’t)

What Kim Kardashian Has Said About Kanye West Since Their Divorce

Kim Kardashian Reveals Where She Stands With Kanye West After Divorce

Trending

Brighton vs Crystal Palace rivalry: Why the ‘M23 derby’ is one of the fiercest in football
Football

Brighton vs Crystal Palace rivalry: Why the ‘M23 derby’ is one of the fiercest in football

by DigestWire member
February 6, 2026
0

This is the ninth successive season in which the teams have met

Al-Nassr v Al-Ittihad: Ronaldo to miss second game after not being included in matchday squad

Al-Nassr v Al-Ittihad: Ronaldo to miss second game after not being included in matchday squad

February 6, 2026
T20 World Cup: India v USA – Preview, how to watch, team news and prediction

T20 World Cup: India v USA – Preview, how to watch, team news and prediction

February 6, 2026
Newcastle: Sandro Tonali’s agent says midfielder’s future will be decided in the summer

Newcastle: Sandro Tonali’s agent says midfielder’s future will be decided in the summer

February 6, 2026
Liam Livingstone signs T20-only contract with Lancashire

Liam Livingstone signs T20-only contract with Lancashire

February 6, 2026
DIGEST WIRE

DigestWire is an automated news feed that utilizes AI technology to gather information from sources with varying perspectives. This allows users to gain a comprehensive understanding of different arguments and make informed decisions. DigestWire is dedicated to serving the public interest and upholding democratic values.

Privacy Policy     Terms and Conditions

Recent News

  • Brighton vs Crystal Palace rivalry: Why the ‘M23 derby’ is one of the fiercest in football February 6, 2026
  • Al-Nassr v Al-Ittihad: Ronaldo to miss second game after not being included in matchday squad February 6, 2026
  • T20 World Cup: India v USA – Preview, how to watch, team news and prediction February 6, 2026

Categories

  • Blockchain
  • Blog
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Cricket
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Defense
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • Founders
  • Health Care
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Strange
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • Uncategorized
  • US News
  • World

© 2020-23 Digest Wire. All rights belong to their respective owners.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Blockchain
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Strange
  • Blog
  • Founders
  • Contribute!

© 2024 Digest Wire - All right reserved.

Privacy Policy   Terms and Conditions

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.