Tuesday, December 23, 2025
DIGESTWIRE
Contribute
CONTACT US
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
DIGESTWIRE
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

Maine stops payments to embattled health care provider facing fraud allegations

by DigestWire member
December 23, 2025
in Breaking News, World
0
Maine stops payments to embattled health care provider facing fraud allegations
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Bangor Daily News was the first to report this story. What you’re reading here would likely not be made public without the efforts of professional journalists asking questions, interviewing sources and obtaining documents. 

This story will be updated.

This story will be updated.

The Maine Department of Health and Human Services moved on Tuesday to halt MaineCare payments to a Portland company that serves immigrants by asserting it had improperly billed for interpreting services and seeking to claw back more than $1 million.

The company, Gateway Community Services, received a notice of violation Tuesday from the department along with a notification that it was suspending payments while investigating “credible allegations of fraud.” The department’s unit reviewed 15,000 claims made to Gateway between March 2021 and December 2022 and is seeking to recoup nearly $1.1 million. 

“The Department will continue to hold providers to the highest standards and ensure accountability in the use of public funds,” department spokesperson Lindsay Hammes said. 

This is the third notice of violation against Gateway. Previous reviews of payments to Gateway found that between 2015 to 2018 it was overpaid about $660,000. Another review from 2024 is still pending an appeal. But Tuesday’s move marked a significant escalation. 

It came a day after U.S. Rep. James Comer of Kentucky, the top Republican on the House oversight committee, sent a letter to the U.S. Treasury that flagged Gateway along with a host of current and former employees as potential targets of a broader welfare fraud investigation being conducted by the panel. 

Comer’s letter directly tied for the first time Gateway to the committee’s investigation that has largely been focused on Minnesota. Among those listed from Gateway include founder Abdullahi Ali and state Rep. Deqa Dhalac, D-South Portland, a former Gateway employee. 

Gateway’s lawyer, Pawel Bincyzk, confirmed earlier in the day that the company had received the notices but has little information on what the allegations are based on. 

“Gateway stands by its previous statements on this issue and will continue to cooperate with the state as it has in the past,” he said.

The Maine Wire, the media arm of the conservative Maine Policy Institute, first reported on the letter. Earlier this year a former employee, Chris Bernardini, told that outlet he saw records falsified while working there from 2018 to 2025. 

Bernardini’s allegations against his former employer have since resurfaced in national conservative news outlets after federal prosecutors charged dozens of people in fraud schemes involving Somali immigrants in Minnesota, where individuals are accused of setting up small companies that defrauded federal welfare programs.

Gateway denied Bernardini’s allegations in a statement earlier this month saying the past reporting is misleading and that employees have received death threats.

“These reckless narratives have real impacts on the thousands of Mainers, a majority of whom are not immigrants, that rely on Gateway for services, as well as the many employees, again many of whom are not immigrants, that work to assist those Mainers,” the company’s statement said.

State Auditor Matt Dunlap recently told WMTW that Gateway will be a focus of the next state audit to be released in March.

Gateway was founded in 2015 by Ali, a Somali American who gained attention in 2024 when he declared his intent to run for president of Jubaland, an autonomous region in the southern part of the country. It is an influential group in Portland and Lewiston, which have the state’s largest African diaspora communities.

The company got just over $65,000 alongside other groups that applied for grants from the Maine Community Foundation from a $1.9 million fund intended to support victims of the 2023 Lewiston shooting. Maine Republicans including former Gov. Paul LePage, a 2nd Congressional District candidate, have recently criticized that award.

Read Entire Article
Tags: BangordailynewsBreaking NewsWorld
Share30Tweet19
Next Post
A growing circle of giving

A growing circle of giving

Company sends 1,000 pairs of socks to Machias Area school

Company sends 1,000 pairs of socks to Machias Area school

Pup with purpose

Pup with purpose

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

No Result
View All Result
Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates
ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

This Skin-Smoothing Moisturizer Leaves You Hydrated and Glowing Without Clogging Pores

Harry and Meghan’s Rep Explains Why Some Archewell Staffers Lost Their Jobs

‘RHOA’ Star Kelli Ferrell’s Ex Jailed After Phaedra Parks Helps Costar

Every Celebrity Cameo in Taylor Swift’s ‘Eras Tour’ Docuseries

Rob Reiner and Wife’s Death Certificates Confirm They Died ‘Minutes’ After ‘Multiple’ Knife Wound Injuries; Children Say Memorial Service Will Be Held at a ‘Later Date’

Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Blood! How ‘The Ugly Stepsister’ Make-Up Team Recreated ‘Cinderella’ as a Body Horror

Trending

Where Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson Stand 1 Year After Split
Entertainment

Where Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson Stand 1 Year After Split

by DigestWire member
December 23, 2025
0

Jessica Simpson and her estranged husband, Eric Johnson, are on good terms one year after their split....

Kevin Costner Hit With $400K Lawsuit Over ‘Horizon 2’ After Release Delay

Kevin Costner Hit With $400K Lawsuit Over ‘Horizon 2’ After Release Delay

December 23, 2025
The Biggest ‘New Heights’ Guests of 2025: Taylor Swift and More

The Biggest ‘New Heights’ Guests of 2025: Taylor Swift and More

December 23, 2025
This Skin-Smoothing Moisturizer Leaves You Hydrated and Glowing Without Clogging Pores

This Skin-Smoothing Moisturizer Leaves You Hydrated and Glowing Without Clogging Pores

December 23, 2025
Harry and Meghan’s Rep Explains Why Some Archewell Staffers Lost Their Jobs

Harry and Meghan’s Rep Explains Why Some Archewell Staffers Lost Their Jobs

December 23, 2025
DIGEST WIRE

DigestWire is an automated news feed that utilizes AI technology to gather information from sources with varying perspectives. This allows users to gain a comprehensive understanding of different arguments and make informed decisions. DigestWire is dedicated to serving the public interest and upholding democratic values.

Privacy Policy     Terms and Conditions

Recent News

  • Where Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson Stand 1 Year After Split December 23, 2025
  • Kevin Costner Hit With $400K Lawsuit Over ‘Horizon 2’ After Release Delay December 23, 2025
  • The Biggest ‘New Heights’ Guests of 2025: Taylor Swift and More December 23, 2025

Categories

  • Blockchain
  • Blog
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Cricket
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Defense
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • Founders
  • Health Care
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Strange
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • Uncategorized
  • US News
  • World

© 2020-23 Digest Wire. All rights belong to their respective owners.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Blockchain
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Strange
  • Blog
  • Founders
  • Contribute!

© 2024 Digest Wire - All right reserved.

Privacy Policy   Terms and Conditions

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.