Tuesday, November 25, 2025
DIGESTWIRE
Contribute
CONTACT US
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Blog
  • Founders
No Result
View All Result
DIGESTWIRE
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

Seven Iranians among eight men arrested in two terrorism operations

by DigestWire member
May 4, 2025
in Breaking News, UK News, World
0
Seven Iranians among eight men arrested in two terrorism operations
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Eight men have been arrested by the Metropolitan Police in two unconnected but “significant” terrorism investigations.

In one operation on Saturday, counter-terror officers arrested five men – four of whom are Iranian nationals – as they swooped in on various locations around the country. All are in police custody.

The Met said the arrests related to a “suspected plot to target a specific premises”.

In an update shortly after midnight, the force said: “Officers have been in contact with the affected site to make them aware and provide relevant advice and support, but for operational reasons, we are not able to provide further information at this time.”

Commander Dominic Murphy, head of the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, said: “Counter-terrorism policing, supported by police and colleagues from across the country, have conducted arrests in two really significant operations, both of which have been designed to keep the public safe from threats.

“There are several hundred officers and staff working on this investigation, and we will work very hard to ensure we understand the threats to the wider public.”

He refused to say if the plot was related to Israel, but described it as “certainly significant” and said “it is unusual for us to conduct this scale of activity”.

He also asked the public to “avoid speculation and some of the things that are being posted online”.

MI5 director general Ken McCallum said in October that the intelligence agency had responded to 20 “potentially lethal” Iran-backed plots since 2022. He warned of the risk of an “increase or broadening of Iranian state aggression in the UK”.

Read more: Terror arrests came in context of raised warnings about Iran

Children ‘petrified’ by armed police

Rochdale resident Kyle Warren, who witnessed one of the arrests at a neighbouring house, said his children had been playing in the garden when they came running into the house, saying a man in a mask had told them to go inside.

“Obviously, I was a bit worried,” Mr Warren told Sky News’ Lisa Dowd, and so he went into the garden to investigate.

“As we’ve come out, we just heard a massive bang, seen loads of police everywhere with guns, shouting at us to get inside the house.”

From upstairs in his house, he then heard “loads of shouting in the house” and saw a man being pulled out of the back of the house, “dragged down the side entry and thrown into all the bushes and then handcuffed”.

There were about 20 to 30 officers with guns, he believes.

“It’s just shocking, really. You don’t expect it on your doorstep.”

His daughters were “petrified… I don’t think they’ve ever seen a gun, so to see 20 masked men with guns running round was quite scary for them”.

Mr Warren, who only moved into his house a year ago, said he had “never really seen anyone going in or out” of the house and actually thought it was empty.

Arrests and searches around the country

The Met added officers were carrying out searches at a number of addresses in the Greater Manchester, London and Swindon areas in connection with the investigation.

It said those detained were:

• A 29-year-old man arrested in the Swindon area
• A 46-year-old man arrested in west London
• A 29-year-old man arrested in the Stockport area
• A 40-year-old man arrested in the Rochdale area
• A man whose age was not confirmed arrested in the Manchester area.

Be the first to get Breaking News

Install the Sky News app for free

Terror arrests in separate investigation

Police also arrested three further Iranian nationals in London on Saturday as part of another, unrelated counter-terror investigation.

The suspects were detained under section 27 of the National Security Act 2023, which allows police to arrest those suspected of being “involved in foreign power threat activity”.

Read more from Sky News:
Pictured: Boy killed in fire – 14 children arrested
Lady Gaga puts on biggest-ever show for free

Home secretary Yvette Cooper said in a statement: “I want to thank the police and our security services for the action they have taken to keep our country safe.

“Protecting national security is the first duty of government and our police and security services have our strong support in their vital work.”

She added: “These are serious events that demonstrate the ongoing requirement to adapt our response to national security threats.”

Last year, the government placed the whole of the Iranian state – including its intelligence services – on the enhanced tier of the new foreign influence registration scheme.

It means anyone asked by Iran to carry out actions for the state must declare it, or face prison time.

Read Entire Article
Tags: Breaking NewsSkynewsUK
Share30Tweet19
Next Post
Second World War fighter plane crashes in Kent

Second World War fighter plane crashes in Kent

Netanyahu vows to retaliate against Houthis and Iran after missile attack

Netanyahu vows to retaliate against Houthis and Iran after missile attack

A timeline of the rise and fall of Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs

A timeline of the rise and fall of Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

No Result
View All Result
Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates Coins MarketCap Live Updates
ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

Prince Andrew Way to be renamed – but council warns it won’t be straightforward

Bitcoin Creator Somehow Becomes ‘Poor’ By Losing $41 Billion Without Saying A Word

SEC issues ‘rare’ no-action letter for Solana DePIN project token FUSE

XRP ETF Report: Bitwise Holds the Lead as Four Funds Hit $85 Million on Monday

2,000+ Bank Advisors Crowd Bitcoin Briefing Fueling Mainstream Adoption

Pick Some ’90s Trends To Find Out Which ’90s Heartthrob Is Your Soulmate

Trending

Hazlewood returns to training, Cummins arms himself with pink ball
Cricket

Hazlewood returns to training, Cummins arms himself with pink ball

by DigestWire member
November 25, 2025
0

The fast bowling duo were in the nets in Sydney on Tuesday as focus turns to the...

Disney’s Dana Walden Receives Founders Award, Touts ‘Creative Risk Taking’ as International Emmys Reveal Full 2025 Winners’ List

Disney’s Dana Walden Receives Founders Award, Touts ‘Creative Risk Taking’ as International Emmys Reveal Full 2025 Winners’ List

November 25, 2025
Fae Pictures Expands Slate With Horror Feature, Series Renewal and International Co-Productions (EXCLUSIVE)

Fae Pictures Expands Slate With Horror Feature, Series Renewal and International Co-Productions (EXCLUSIVE)

November 25, 2025
Prince Andrew Way to be renamed – but council warns it won’t be straightforward

Prince Andrew Way to be renamed – but council warns it won’t be straightforward

November 25, 2025
Bitcoin Creator Somehow Becomes ‘Poor’ By Losing $41 Billion Without Saying A Word

Bitcoin Creator Somehow Becomes ‘Poor’ By Losing $41 Billion Without Saying A Word

November 25, 2025
DIGEST WIRE

DigestWire is an automated news feed that utilizes AI technology to gather information from sources with varying perspectives. This allows users to gain a comprehensive understanding of different arguments and make informed decisions. DigestWire is dedicated to serving the public interest and upholding democratic values.

Privacy Policy     Terms and Conditions

Recent News

  • Hazlewood returns to training, Cummins arms himself with pink ball November 25, 2025
  • Disney’s Dana Walden Receives Founders Award, Touts ‘Creative Risk Taking’ as International Emmys Reveal Full 2025 Winners’ List November 25, 2025
  • Fae Pictures Expands Slate With Horror Feature, Series Renewal and International Co-Productions (EXCLUSIVE) November 25, 2025

Categories

  • Blockchain
  • Blog
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Cricket
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Defense
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • Founders
  • Health Care
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Strange
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • Uncategorized
  • US News
  • World

© 2020-23 Digest Wire. All rights belong to their respective owners.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • UK
  • US
  • Breaking News
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Business
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • Cricket
    • Football
  • Defense
  • Crypto
    • Crypto News
    • Crypto Calculator
    • Blockchain
    • Coins Marketcap
    • Top Gainers and Loser of the day
    • Crypto Exchanges
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Strange
  • Blog
  • Founders
  • Contribute!

© 2024 Digest Wire - All right reserved.

Privacy Policy   Terms and Conditions

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.